Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Looking For Love In All the Wrong Places.

Waylon Jennings recorded the song "Looking for Love" and it was a big hit for him.  The success was due to the fact that he expressed with a song, a reality that most of us have experienced. We identify.  The chorus says
                            "I was looking for love in all the wrong places.
                             Looking for love in too many faces.  
                             Searching your eyes, looking for traces
                                 of what I'm dreaming of.  
                             Hoping to find a friend and a lover. 
                             God bless the day I discover 
                             Another heart, looking for love."
That search for Love and Acceptance seems universal, and like the song we all share that experience of looking in the wrong places.  The question is where is the right place to look for Love.

I was told that GOD is Love,  If I want to find true Love I must find GOD. This information was not too helpful, do mostly to the fact that I do not have a clue as to Whom or What GOD is.  And to be completely honest  I found it difficult to find a source of information about God that wasn't colored or shaded to meet another agenda.  What do I have to do to receive this love?  If it is unconditional, than there is nothing to "DO".  It just IS.  Hard to believe?  Impossible to believe is more like it.

Where is this GOD?   That answer, depending on where you live on this planet and who you ask, can change dramatically. For most of us, to be honest it was just too time consuming to find that answer for ourselves.  That's why we have Priests, Rabbi's, Ministers, and Guru's.  They devote their lives to that question so I do not have to. I just have to believe what they believe?   Right?  They know where He is and it is our job to follow them as they lead us to God.  If choose not to go down their path, we will be condemned Hell or some other unsavory place.

As I was recovering from yet another failed relationship, an experience, that was quite common for me.  Even though failure had become common, it was always so painful.  This time was different though.  My reality led me to the point of suicide.  Empty and alone, though surrounded with people, I was desperate and suicide seemed to be the only viable option.  In that moment I turned to a man whom I had observed over the years, who seemed to have his act together.  I asked him what his secret was.  He said that what I was experiencing was common, and my continual experience of failure in my relationships was due to the fact that Mankind seems to have an insatiable need to be loved.  He pointed out that the key word in that sentence was the word "insatiable".  My need to be loved and accepted was to great to be fulfilled by any one.  He then went on to say that he believed this insatiable need to be loved was by design.  A Divine Design that could only be satisfied within me  and only by my God.    The one place I had never looked.
I remembered things from my past; a verse from the bible saying that Kingdom of God that was within me.  A line from a movie where the actor was standing in front of a mirror getting dressed, for some affair, his manservant helping him with his coat. Standing there looking at his reflection with obvious pleasure in what he saw he said "You know, A love affair with ones self is a love affair that will last a lifetime".  A love affair with myself?  I had never heard the profound truth contained in that line. All I thought was, "What an  arrogant, selfish and self centered thing to say"  Suddenly there was hope.  It was not much, but it proved to be all I needed.

To understand that there was a reason for the way I felt, proved to be the "booby prize".  Understanding why did nothing to relieve my pain.  However knowing there was a way out of this dark place I found myself in, transcended the pain.  I had been "Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places".  I had a need within me that nothing but God could satisfy.  God could and would if he were sought.




No comments:

Post a Comment